Thursday, June 7, 2012

Traveling!

            First of all, I want to apologize for how late this is getting to you. Internet has been rare, but we have it figured out now so I’ll try to get better! Second of all, I’M IN KENYA!!! There are so many things that I have to update you guys on, but I’m going to break it up into parts so you don’t get overwhelmed. So here goes!
            On our flight from KCI to Dallas, I got the opportunity to sit by an amazing woman from Kenya named Diana and her little one year-old girl, Zoey. The first thing she said to me was that she was going to Kenya, and you should have seen the look on her face when I told her I was, too. She was more than shocked. I spent the flight talking to Diana about Kenya, why I was going there, and Zoey of course. Zoey was adorable, and cute, and fun, and happy, and did I mention adorable? We became friends very quickly and had a blast with playing with my bracelet and throwing things on the ground!
Diana and Zoey stuck with us throughout the rest of our lay-overs in Dallas and London, and we helped with Zoey as much as we could. She loved my awesome stroller-coaster ride in the security line.  They were such a blessing to us throughout that adventure, and it was nice to have a friend with us from the beginning to end. Saying good-bye to them in Nairobi was so sad!
The best way to describe our flight from Dallas to London is: long. I sat by two older ladies who both fly internationally a lot. They were very nice and quite helpful. The flight itself wasn’t really anything exciting. Overall, my thoughts on flying internationally are:
Food: not horrid, but not super.
Entertainment: Decent selection, but quality wasn’t the best. I could barely hear, so I watched the Vow in almost silence. (I didn’t get it.)
Comfort: Ehh.
And I guess I imagined landing in London would be a lot cooler. I pictured myself snapping photos of Big Ben as our plane swoops onto the runway. In reality, I got excited when I caught a glimpse of a row of houses from my seat in the middle of the center section. Yay!
Our flight from London to Nairobi was a bit more entertaining – several people had been enjoying the complimentary alcoholic beverages. (I’ll admit that the wine was quite delicious!) And after another 9-hour flight, we finally landed in Nairobi! I think the woman in the very back row of the plane said it best when she yelled out “WOOOOO!!! KENYA!!!!!”
However, our excitement at that point slowly drained away as we waited for our bags for an hour only to discover that both of mine and one of Bethany’s weren’t on the flight. Sigh…. But luckily they made it easy for us and delivered them the very next night!
Next I’ll tell you all about our couple days in Nairobi with some amazing people!

No comments:

Post a Comment